DESCRIPTION: Design, processing and characterization of new materials for structural and functional applications (energy, environment, biomedical engineering, photonics and optics).
PREVIOUS ACTIVITY OF THE LINE:
- Generation of microstructured ceramics through directional/surface solidification of eutectics to improve mechanical and thermo-mechanical properties, modification of optical (transparency, metamaterials, selective emitters), conductive, bioceramic or electrochemical properties.
- The techinique called laser oven has been patented in which ceramic and glass pieces can be treated with a laser inside an oven, reducing the thermal stresses generated in the process. It has been applied to the processing of ceramic materials and glasses by directional fusion.
- Modification of surfaces with laser treatments with pulsed lasers (fusion, ablation), obtaining surface micro and nanostructures to provide them with new functionalities such as hydrophobicity, self-cleaning surfaces, polishing, low friction, corrosion control, alloying, incorporation of dopants in a controlled atmosphere , machining, micro/nanopatterning or antibacterial properties, among others.
- Integration of laser technologies in industrial processes that are more respectful of the environment, with low energy consumption and high efficiency.
- Microstructuring, machining and marking of polymers and soft materials: laser interference patterning, carving of intraocular lenses.
- Synthesis, Processing and Scaling of Advanced Functional Materials. Synthesis of core@shell nanoparticles by scanning LA-PLA (pulsed laser ablation in liquid medium). Fabrication of stable colloidal solutions of multi-modal nanoparticles from laser ablation of targets of controlled composition.
- Development of techniques for surface cleaning of materials by laser ablation for application in the field of conservation of Cultural Heritage.